Friday, April 20, 2018

Ipanema Delights

We spent several sunny afternoons soaking up the atmosphere in Ipanema.  It's unlike any beach I've ever experienced.  Vendors compete to bring you Caipirinhas, chairs and umbrellas.  And they plop you down in the middle of a super sexy crowd.




I got drunk enough to ask the chiseled guy on the left if I could take his portrait after he caught me playing paparazzi.  He graciously declined even after I told him four New Yorkers had voted him hottest man in Ipanema.


Liquid courage also sent me into the surf.  The waves were a lot more powerful than they look.


Check out Thom's head if you don't believe me.


Guess what the Carmen Miranda impersonator was selling?  He wasn't any happier than the other guy about me taking his picture without buying some frozen fruit.  Independent vendors sell everything.  "Agua? marijuana?" asked one.  Another hawked grilled shrimp. And you've already seen the Speedo salesman.


Sonia's hot pink crew appreciated our repeat business and took care of us.  This young woman even shook her head in warning when somebody tried to order a third Caipirinha on our final visit.


As you can see, two did the happy trick!  I can't remember the last time I giggled so hard in a cab.  


Later, after celebrating the end of the trip with a bottle of Veuve Cliquot at the villa, we chowed down at Fogo de Chão, a Brazilian steak house, the kind where they keep bringing you different cuts of meat until you're ready to explode.  


That's not all they brought us.  2/5 of our table doesn't recall the final pour.  It was that kind of night.


Fear not friends:  we can repeat the experience at the chain (!) restaurant's New York City location while reminiscing about our wonderful Rio getaway.

Thanks again, Thom!

No comments:

Post a Comment