Saturday, June 17, 2017

National Portrait Gallery

As many times as I've been to the nation's capital, I'd never visited the National Portrait Gallery.  Christine knew that a Marlene Dietrich exhibit was it all it would take to pique my interest.  That's her on the left.  Maybe the most glamorous American patriot ever. Madonna's no fool.


I enjoyed the presidential portraits even more.  Norman Rockwell did wonders for Richard Nixon. Has Tricky Dick, our sweatiest commander-in-chief, ever look so relaxed?


 Chuck Close may be more evident in this oversize portrait than Bill Clinton.


Tall, thoughtful and handsome--honest Abe had it all!


Agent Orange believes that a man needs a full head of hair to succeed in business.  No wonder he worships Andrew Jackson.


Fortunately our disastrous 2016 election outcome remains absent from the gallery, although we did find him inserted in a half hidden coloring book (kids, you'll need your orange crayons for this one!).  It's the only time his brand ever has shared such august company. Dover Books boycott, anyone?


I loved "The Struggle for Justice" exhibit.  Among the 40 advocates pictured are Russell Means (by Andy Warhol!),



Betty Friedan,


and Christopher Reeve.


Larry Kramer struck a pose in a black and white photograph.  The fierceness of his expression recalled those of the Native American tribal chieftans on display in a staircase gallery.


Props to the Smithsonian curators for including all aspects of the American experience.  I knew instantly what the man depicted in this Paul Cadmus painting was doing because I've done it so often myself using the identical, watchful pose.

 
The Gallery includes the work of some of my other favorite American artists, including Thomas Hart Benton



Edward Hopper



and Marsden Hartley.


It also introduced me to some unfamiliar artists whose names I failed to record.



The folk art display includes some obsessive work by "the common man" working with unorthodox materials, including plastic junk,


bottle caps,


and discarded furniture covered in foil.


























No comments:

Post a Comment