Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Flying Over Sunset (5*)

 

I had to go back to "Sunday in the Park with George" almost a decade to recall a production that moved me more than "Flying Over Sunset."  My expectations weren't high: c'mon, a musical about Aldous Huxley, Clare Booth Luce and Cary Grant dropping acid in the 50s?  But oh boy did it deliver.  James Lapine braids believable epiphanies for each of them into a cord that binds beautifully by the end and serves as a compelling argument for the use of psychedelics.  Hummable melodies with lyrics that reflect the character's unique psychologies (they mostly sing only when tripping), terrific performances and tap dancing, surprisingly evocative set design and gorgeous costumes make me want to see it again, a rarity.  Alas, its focus on three long-dead white people may fail to curry favor with younger audiences but for old show tune queens like me, I can't recommend it highly enough.  And be sure to watch for Clare's "Jungle Red" nail polish, the perfect detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment