Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Hadestown (4*)


When a musical is sung-through I often have difficulty understanding exactly what's going on.  After all, I'm a guy who leaves captions on my TV turned on permanently because I want to make sure I get every word.  So I did my homework before going to see the Tony-award winning Hadestown:  I listened to the wonderful score multiple times on Apple Music with lyrics, of course, I boned up on my mythology and I read the Wikipedia entry.   Nevertheless,  there still were stretches of this overly long and overly amplified show that left me baffled.  Still I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially Lillias White as a gender-bent Hermes, Patrick Page as Hades, as Eva Noblezada as Eurydice and Bryan Drye blowing the meanest live trombone I've ear heard!  

Reeve Carney & Eva Noblezada (photo by Sara Krulwich)
Kudos, too, to Anais Mitchell for giving classic mythology a contemporary resonance and Rachel Chavkin for staging that toggles between hell on this earth, and hell.
With Paul & Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment