Friday, May 3, 2024

Art Speaks

I wonder if Beth Rudin DeWoody checks out New York City's annual NADA show?  Thom and I first caught it on Governor's Island several years ago.  Like the SPRING/BREAK Art Show, it's a great place to discover new talent.  

With her kind of money, I would have added these beautifully composed oil paintings by Will Yackulic to my collection.  Apparently, they represent a different direction for the California-based artist; parenthood has forced him to go smaller.





It's pretty obvious I have a bias for figurative art

"Annie" by Sung Jik Yang (2024)
. . . but I'm a sucker for a little stylization, too.  Stacey Leigh was born the day I turned 18.

"Wind in her hair, not a care, as Morty and Mint look on in dispair" (2024)
This work recalls scenes (and frauleins) from early childhood.

"Ascension" by Claire Milbrath (2024)
"Projector" by Russell Banx (2024)
Marc Dennis ups the realism ante.

"Garden of Earthly Delights" (2023-24)
"Garden of Earthly Delights" (detail)
Comics and fantasy are two genres that don't get enough respect in the art world.  I greeted these knitted works by Megan Dominescu with LOLs.


This one would have been perfect in Nuremberg's Smile Hotel!


I was a little surprised that the dealer representing Rebecca Morgan didn't acknowledge both R. Crumb and Aline Kominsky  as influences.



"Hidden Idols," a series of fantasy works by Hydeon, a Brooklyn artist who clearly knows a thing or two about post modern branding, reminded me of Bruegel, one of my favorite artists in his depiction of lots of people doing (sometimes odd) things.



Ryan Steadman delivers just the right amount of abstraction.

"Messy Bun" (2023)
It's typically been my experience to be ignored by young women working in galleries.  But I got an earful from the bored gallerista representing Rachael Tarravechia, whose emotion-inflamed work incorporates rhinestones.  She sounded as if she had just gotten her master's degree in pretension, oops I mean art criticism.  Is there such a thing as "womansplaining?"
  
"Winter Song" (2024)
"Vampire Hunter" (2023)
I'll shut up now and let the other art I liked speak for itself.

"El volume de 5 golones" by Salvador Dominguez (2024)
"Road Rage" by Inagaki (2024)
Unidentified Work by Kirsty Budge
"Polychromatic: Horizon 1" by Luftwerk (2024)
Unidentified Sculpture by Soojin Choi
Unidentified Fiber Sculpture by Paul Latislaw
Unidentified Sculpture by Ling-lin Ku
"Promise" by Celia Eberle (2022)
"Street Amulet-dog man" by Hiroko Kubo
Unfortunately, I didn't get all the artists' names.  I spent quite a bit of time dishing the Whitney Biennial with a septuagenerian lesbian artist who has been exhibited at the Leslie Lohman Museum and really seems ripe for re-discovery.


Apparently, storm chasers can be artists, too.  The eerie TV-light coloration in this series is as menacing as the funnel clouds.


NADA's emigration from Governors Island to Chelsea provided views of a different sort


. . . including a slivered Manhattan


and a striking old/new architectural contrast.


No comments:

Post a Comment