Monday, May 18, 2015

Yoko Ono @ MoMA

Growing up in El Paso during the sixties, far away from the art world, I knew only that Yoko Ono broke up the Beatles.  Appreciation for her music as I got older began to chip away at my ignorance but her dynamite show at MoMA, documenting her work as a conceptual artist, finally blasted it away completely.


How cheeky to begin it with an apple!






One room was devoted to the Plastic Ono Band.


I didn't "get" a lot of it but her talent can't be denied.





It's definitely fair to say that she was ahead of her time.  Just take some time to read her instructions in Grapefruit.


I exited this room as quickly as possible.


A  guard stopped me before I could record my ascent "Up to the Sky." The spiral staircase grew shakier as you approached a skylight in MoMA's ceiling.


But for some reason, it was OK to record the mesmerizing "Bag Piece."


Way to go, guurrrrrl.



No comments:

Post a Comment