Saturday, April 23, 2022

How I Learned To Drive (3*)

 


I wish I had seen this play off Broadway 25 years ago when Paula Vogel's extraordinarily brave drama still had the shock of the new.  The writing, performances and structure remain fine but awareness of "grooming" and gender power imbalances has grown so exponentially thanks to the Catholic Church, Boy Scouts and the "Me Too" movement that cynical politicians at this very moment are using it to frighten parents.  As traumatic as Ms. Vogel's abuse was, I've heard it all before thanks to a father who instilled in me such a fear of pedophilia that I've never been entirely comfortable around kids because he equated it with homosexuality.  Still, How I Learned to Drive taught me something I won't soon forget:  how internalized shame can find exhilarating expression.


No comments:

Post a Comment