Saturday, December 31, 2022

Five-Star Chiffon

Call me Chiffon, my fantasy DJ name.  It derives from my early days as a publicist when I spoke too quickly, especially when identifying myself.  A book reviewer once asked "Did you say Chiffon?"  This year, I'm using it to aggregate my favorite music, books, movies and theater for the first time.  Television isn't included because rating it is too complicated in this day and age. 

SONGS

I downloaded 310 songs from Apple Music in 2023.  Here are 25 favorites in no particular order, linked to videos on You Tube.

"Kalahari Down" by Orville Peck

"Anti-Hero" by Taylor Swift

"I Hate Myself, I Want To Party" by King Princess

"Bad Thing Twice" by Carly Rae Jepsen

"Pineapple Slice" by Tove Lo & SG Lewis

"Wolf" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

"It’s Too Late" by Lucy Dacus

"America Has A Problem" by Beyonce

"Cardigan" by Emotional Oranges & Unusual Dermont

"Otto Atardecer" by Bad Bunny & The Marias

"Blessing" by Alec G 

"Just Can’t Get Enough" by Channel Tres

"Glory" (featuring Ladysmith Black Mambazo) by Burna Boy

"Catch Me in the Air" by Rina Sawayama

"Candyfloss" by Alfie Tempelman

"Lemon Tree" by Post Malone

"One Man’s Prayer" by Regina Spektor

"Brightsider" by Dagny

"Paracetamol Blues" by Sea Girls

"hate to be you" by Lexi Jayde

"Symptom Of Your Touch" by Aly & AJ

"This Car Drives All By Itself" by The Wombats

"Dido’s Lament/White Flag Medley" by Anthony Roth Costanzo & Justin Vivian Bond

"Kiss My Scars" by August Royals

"Take My Breath" by The Weeknd


BOOKS

I read 24 books, all novels or memoirs.  They, like movies and theater,  get from one to five stars.  Only five-star ratings make this list.

Young Mungo by Douglas Stuart

Twentieth Century Boy by Duncan Hannah

The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel 

The Candy House by Jennifer Egan

Beautiful World Where Are You by Sally Rooney

Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen

The Anomaly by Herve Le Tellier

A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James

The Great Mistake by Jonathan Lee

The Recent East by Thomas Grattan


MOVIES

I watched 100 movies, too many to write about.  They're linked to trailers.  

The Fabelmans

Nope

The 400 Blows

The Bad and the Beautiful

Gandhi

The Worst Person in the World

Elvis

Fire Island

The Card Counter

Flee

Don’t Look Back

Spencer

The Mauritanian


THEATER

I saw 15 theatrical productions, mostly on Broadway.

Ain’t No Mo

Into The Woods


No comments:

Post a Comment