Friday, April 21, 2023

Squirrelly

Yep, five seasons at the Folly has turned me into the kind of guy who looks forward to feeding the Bryant Park squirrels in the morning.  This greedy member of the scurry always demanded more from his various perches on my new bike.

I rode it to Oceana the night Thom, Chris and I celebrated three months of not killing one another.  The risotto was beyond.  Before my first drunken summer in the Pines, I'd never even heard of risotto.

Thom and I drove down the day after Christmas.  I took Amtrak home.  Although the train was more comfortable, the ride lacked this crucial nutrient.


The winter holidays always seem so incongruous in warm, sunny weather.



A well-preserved Volkswagen made me nostalgic for Herr Cucaracha.  I recently read in Esquire you can pay $100K+ to have vintage autos electrified.


My budget is more golf-cart size.  They come in all shapes and sizes.  Too bad I didn't get that gene; I might enjoy life at the Folly more.

 

Although you can't beat our proximity to the beach.


Or the sunsets from the drawbridge over the Intracoastal.



Even the view below the bridge can be pretty with the right light.


Thankfully, we're not so close to the beach that we have to worry about erosion.  Getting home insurance where we are is difficult enough!


You have to wonder how much longer man-made barriers like this will last as the oceans rise.


But Mother Nature nonetheless remains a major part of what makes Florida life appealing, at least temporarily.









Chris spends almost as much time at the Lantana branch of the Palm Beach County library system as I do at the beach.  Meanwhile, Thom sketches.  He's ALWAYS sketching and I can't believe I didn't think to get a picture!


Local events--which often require field trips to Palm Beach or Miami--occasionally provide distraction.

The Collection of André Leon Talley
Lake Worth Beach Street Painting Festival
Yayoi Kusama @ PAMM
Visits from friends are always welcome.  I thought Paul's mother's condo in Boca was swanky until I visited Patrick, Marty and Grayson in West Palm Beach.


Aunt Terry lives high above West Palm Beach.


You can see all the way to the Breakers from the rooftop pool.


Patrick and Marty treated me to dinner at Sushi Yama after Grayson and I enjoyed a tainted victory over his two fathers at hearts.


I took them for ice cream afterward.


Other than that, I walked, swam, read and streamed a lot.  Outdoor statues are big in Palm Beach.




Perambulations closer to the Folly yielded funkier photos.









Lake Worth Memorial Garden doesn't look particularly interesting at first glance.


But it includes a small veteran's section.


Note that Joseph Dollmer, born a decade before either my paternal or maternal grandparents, served in the Spanish American War.


I also added to my mailbox collection.


And there are always flowers and abstractions to photograph.












No comments:

Post a Comment