Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Barney's Back

Although I don't pretend to understand his work, I've always been fascinated by Matthew Barney.  So much so that I ripped off the title of his 2003 show at the Guggenheim for an AOL screen name:  Cremaster.  It refers to the involuntary muscle that raises and lowers the testes.  Too obscure by far for most of the men cruising M4M chat rooms.  Remember those?


My fascination with Barney rests solidly on the superficial:  his hunkiness, his journey from jock to artist and his decade-long relationship with Bjork, with whom he has a new millennium daughter, now 20something.  Now that's what I call a pedigree!  Here's the artist in a video-captured act of cosplay creativity.


But just the other day, I noticed the catalog for "The Cremaster Cycle" on my bookshelf and wondered "what ever happened . . . ?"  The Gladstone Gallery provided the answer with "Secondary", a multi media show in which Barney explores both football and the subterranean clay pipes that water New York City.  Using dumbbells, of course.

 



Not that it matters.  I remain an intrigued fanboy.

"Supine Axis"

"Vertebral Space"
Power Rack with Fractured Bar Bell 

No comments:

Post a Comment