Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Open Throat (4*)

 


If this amusing, lyrically written environmental parable, recently adapted for live performance at Little Island, had been longer than 40 pages, I might not have read it.  That would have been my loss.  Henry Hoke convincingly inhabits the consciousness of a California mountain lion whose territory includes hikers and a homeless encampment.  He learns all he needs to know about contemporary life by eavesdropping on the former.

is new york where I have to go

from what people say it sounds like everyone there is coming here and that’s why everything is changing or why everything costs too much now or why all the good things about ellay are disappearing

I want to do the opposite I want to go to a place where I won’t be hated

where there are therapists running around everywhere like deer and I can just find one and catch it and pin it down

store it somewhere safe and visit it once a week 

Did I mention the mountain lion is discreetly gay?  He falls in love with a kill sharer who gets killed crossing the freeway, evocatively described like this:

the long death up close and in focus was even harder to take with its lights and speeding murderous cars never stopping on their hell ride to the right and to the left 

The mountain lion even buddies up with fag-hag-in-training who calls him heckit and takes him on a joyride to disnee before the book turns deadly serious, pointing a finger at the kind of heterosexual male behavior that threatens our planet far more than any animal predator.

No comments:

Post a Comment