Saturday, February 17, 2018

Leaving Winter (and Manhattan) Behind

I can't decide what I'll miss more until I return at the end of April:  Central Park or my apartment.



I delayed my departure for Lake Worth so I could meet Julia, the young woman Zoltan brought home to meet Tom & Audrey.  They seem well-matched and really happy.  And they cleaned their plates of my meatloaf, rosemary potatoes and cauliflower tossed with parmesan and breadcrumbs, which me me really happy!  Extra credit:  Julia, a theater geek, worships Stephen Sondheim and recognized all the tracks on my "Broadway Babies" playlist.


Hours before they arrived, my apartment looked like an excavation site for the temporary move to Florida.  I resurrected my Marantz receiver, purchased the summer before I left El Paso for college in 1971, after seeing the same model proudly displayed in a hipster's apartment earlier this month in Quebec City.  CDs hadn't been invented the last time I plugged it in.  Neither Tom, my roommate at Columbia and Zoltan's father, nor I was sure if it would sing along with an i-Pod after all those years in hibernation.



Funny how an antique machine can bring back so many blazing memories.








No comments:

Post a Comment