Thursday, December 23, 2021

Joan Didion (1934-2021)

 Another lion (lioness?) gone!  She lived at the intersection of wit, style and intelligence.


I don't know what I think until I write it down.

* * * * *

The truth is, it's easier for me to write than talk... to express the state I'm in at any time.

* * * * *

The willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life is the source from which self-respect springs.

* * * * *

“...quite simply, I was in love with New York. I do not mean “love” in any colloquial way, I mean that I was in love with the city, the way you love the first person who ever touches you and you never love anyone quite that way again."

* * * * *

“It is often said that New York is a city for only the very rich and the very poor. It is less often said that New York is also, at least for those of us who came there from somewhere else, a city for only the very young.”

* * * * *

"Ask anyone committed to Marxist analysis how many angels dance on the head of a pin, and you will be asked in return to never mind the angels, tell me who controls the production of pins."

* * * * *

“Life changes fast. Life changes in the instant. You sit down to dinner and life as you know it ends.” 

* * * * *

“Writers are always selling somebody out.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment