Monday, December 20, 2021

Seneca Village

How many times have I passed the sign in Central Park, in between the 85th and 86th Street entrances on the West Side, noting that Seneca Village, a black settlement once stood on the land?  Now, what I once considered an interesting historical footnote has been re-imagined as an Afrofuturist period room in the American wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art called "Before Yesterday We Could Fly." 







The room sounded really cool when I read about it in the Times but then I made the mistake of reading the comments.  Many accused the Met of capitulating to political correctness WITHOUT EVER SEEING what happens to be one of the most interesting and creative attempts at racial reconciliation that I ever have experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment