Saturday, February 24, 2024

Lake Worth's Big Weekend

The crowds keep getting bigger at Lake Worth's annual Street Painting Festival, now 30 years old.  I went to my first in 2018.  Has the art gotten less charming or am I just more habituated? In any case, only a few works struck my fancy, including this ghoulish take on a Van Gogh self-portrait.


This woman worked from a photograph of "Portrait of a Young Spanish Woman" by Anton Ebert, a 19th-century Czech painter.  I wonder if a beach towel inspired her?


Many participants were still applying finishing touches on the final morning of the weekend event.


Evvy told me Black Star is her favorite Bowie album.  While it turned the Thin White Duke's death into critically-acclaimed performance art, I can't help but feel sorry for anyone who didn't first fall in love with Ziggy, as I did, more than 50 years ago.


The woman who painted this musician wore a "Yes, It's Me, I'm the Problem" t-shirt.  From an artistic perspective I'd have to agree.  Meow.


The younger folks at the festival probably didn't recognize this celebrity.  Neither did I at first.  Bad old gay!


Local businesses and firms sponsor the artists.  Betty Resch, an attorney, is Lake Worth's current mayor.  She's running again in a tightly contested election next month.  If there's a message, here I'm not sure what it says but I'd probably vote for her if I was eligible.


Street food options were a lot more varied this year.  Christine told me that Oceano Kitchen, Lake Worth's new foodie destination and long our favorite restaurant in its old Lantana location, was hawking $18 pomegranate margaritas on Saturday, an option unavailable on Sunday, perhaps because they misjudged the market.


No doubt glorious weather increased the turnout this year.


Surprisingly, if you were looking for serenity on a Sunday morning, you could find it at the Children's Meadow.








I'm a sucker for seahorses and flamingoes.



And nothing like patriotism with a pretty face to soften up my anti-nationalist instincts.


No comments:

Post a Comment