Saturday, August 20, 2022

Welcome Back To New York!

The last time Barb visited me in New York, I was a sophomore at Columbia.  That was nearly 50 years ago, at Thanksgiving.  Unbelievably no photos were taken.  I sure didn't make that mistake this time!  She and her husband Gary spent a day here before embarking on a North Atlantic cruise to Halifax.

When Barb last rode the subway, we paid 35 cents each for tokens, so very last century.


"Is it safe?" she asked, after I suggested that we mask up.  "It all depends on which cable news network you watch," I replied.  The absence of graffiti did strike her.


After meeting them at the Marriott Marquis, we rode the IRT to South Ferry and boarded the Staten Island ferry.  You can't beat the views.  Or the price.


I hadn't played New York City tour guide since Brett, Barb's son, visited with his friend Nick.


A lot has changed in Lower Manhattan since then.



We had a real New York moment on the subway ride back uptown:  SNL star Bowen Yang sat across from us.  "Bowen who?" asked Barb.  No matter.  I was thrilled, knowing I would have a great story tell when I returned to Fire Island the next day.




We peeked at the colorfully remodeled interior of Saks.  During Barb's previous visit we bought an invisible dog leash at FAO Schwartz and walked it up and down Fifth Avenue to the delight of pedestrians and New York City cops alike, especially when we stopped at a fire hydrant.  


After crossing Central Park, we spent the rest of the afternoon at 47 Pianos before dining at Gennaro, my favorite restaurant on the Upper West Side and then headed back to Times Square for The Lion King.  It's amazing what you can see in 12 hours.


More Barb:


No comments:

Post a Comment