Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Space Needle Redux

Dan Corson's "Sonic Boom" adds a colorful frisson to a ground view of Seattle's Space Needle.  


Built for a World's Fair, it's been iconic for more than 60 years.



The elevators--which operate at a speed of 10 m.p.h.--have been computerized since my first visit, when my father and I were returning from Alaska.


This view cost $2 in 1980.  In the upper right hand corner, you dimly can see the Kingdome, imploded in 2000, when Zoltan was just ten,


If he hadn't suggested I get a comparison shot, I could have saved $37.80, the price of a senior admission.


But you really can't beat the views, especially on a sunny day.  Here's looking north to Lake Union.  The arrow points to Gas Works Park, not far from Zoltan's neighborhood, where I shot the video below.



For the past five years, visitors have been able to look through the revolving glass floor, which takes 45 minutes to complete a circuit.


I lasted about two.  MPop beckoned!


No comments:

Post a Comment