Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Seattle Road Trip

Five thousand free "supercharging" miles and distant friends gave me the kick I needed to take a cross-country road trip in the Folly Chariot from Lake Worth to Seattle.  I was gone most of June and saw plenty of sights along the way.  You can bet I was nervous embarking on a solo drive without the comfort of ubiquitous gas stations but it was smooth whirring once I got my EV legs. Although during one severe thunderstorm, I did ponder the ultimate irony of being struck by lightning while plugging in my car.


Zoltan, my godson, stayed in Washington after leaving the Army more than a decade ago. I'd never seen him in his own habitat but I can tell you now that he lives in one of the coolest neighborhoods I've ever visited.


Last fall, Cynthia and her husband relocated from the Dallas suburb where they had resided for more than 30 years to rural Colorado.  Their four-bedroom house sits on 156 acres (they rent their grazing rights)  with mountain views and few neighbors.  Fortunately, I didn't need the high altitude survival kit Cynthia prepared for me.


Thom flew into Seattle to join me for the return trip.  I'll bet pasty Elon doesn't know you can charge and take sun at the same time.  Look for Thom in front of the brontosaurus tail, not a locator I ever thought I would be using.  It seems like most Tesla owners, at least the younger ones, sit in their air conditioned vehicles looking at their phones.  Maybe they're booking early passage to Mars!


Ever tried Beaver Nuggets?   Snacks are a road trip essential and you'll find plenty at Buc-ee's!


I travelled through 15 states--sometimes more than once--and got pictures in all of 'em except Arkansas, where Thom and I had travelled the same route in 2021.

Legacy Plaza, Montgomery, AL
Mississippi River, Vicksburg, MS
Louisiana State Cotton Museum, Lake Providence, LA
Jim Thorpe Home, Yale, OK
Channing, TX
Clayton, NM
Arkansas River, Highway 50, Colorado
Thompson, UT
State Capitol, Boise, ID
Pendleton, OR
Mt. Ranier, Washington
Mill Creek Falls, CA
Truckee River, Reno, NV
View from Holiday Inn Express Room, Pensacola Beach, FL

SEATTLE ROAD TRIP STATS AT A GLANCE


Duration Of Trip:  21 days

Miles Traveled:  7,429

Average Miles Traveled Per Day:  354

Charging Stops:  53

Average Charging Time:  32 minutes

*Cost Of Charging:  $390 for 2400 miles or ~ $0.16 per mile

Variation In Charge Per Kilowatt Hour:  $0.33 (TX) to $0.39 (FL)

Panhandles Crossed:  2 (Florida & Texas)

Longest Distance Traveled During A Single Day:  620 (South Lake Tahoe, CA to Provo, UT)

Longest Driving Duration:  13 hours, from CaƱon City to Tremont, UT because of Rocky Mountain rock slides

*after 5,000 free Tesla supercharging miles


More Seattle Road Trip:

Deep South Whiplash
Seattle Road Trip Top 5

No comments:

Post a Comment