Thursday, June 13, 2024

Two Thirds of the 27 Club

Zoltan knows his uncle very well.  He included the grave of Jimi Hendrix on a list of things I might like to visit in the Seattle area.  He's buried in Renton, a southeast suburb.  


Once inside Greenwood Memorial Park, you can't miss the imposing and elaborate Hendrix tomb, surrounded by--what else?--purple flowers.

 

My pilgrimage and an earlier one to Père Lachaise, where a friend photographed me behind the grave of Jim Morrison, got me thinking.


"Now all I need is a picture at the final resting place of Janis Joplin and I will have paid my respects to the original American members of the infamous 27 Club.  Even better, Port Arthur, TX, her birthplace is on the way home."  Alas, I subsequently learned Joplin's ashes had been scattered over the Pacific Ocean after her 1970 cremation in Los Angeles.

Pere Lachaise, 2005
Seattle's celebrity graves also include those of Bruce Lee and his son, Brandon.  Although neither were native sons, Bruce moved from Hong Kong, his birthplace, to Seattle as a high school student and opened his first martial arts studio there.  His wife, one of his students, said their years in Seattle were their happiest.


Brandon's maternal grandmother also shares the family plot which attracts 10,000 visitors annually.  I had to wait in line behind three people to take these photos.


Some of Seattle's oldest Caucasian families are buried at Lake View Cemetery, although old is a relative term: the Denny Party didn't settle in the area until the mid-19th century.


Relief would have served Liberace better at Forest Lawn than florid engraving IMHO.



No comments:

Post a Comment