Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Prague's New Jewish Cemetery

While waiting for the tram to the new Jewish Cemetery, I noticed the difference a paint job can make in two identical buildings.


Just inside the gate is the cemetery's Ceremonial Hall.



Once again I had to wear a yarmulke.  The wind kept blowing it off.



Signs made it easy to find the Kafka's family plot, my primary reason for the visit.




Pilgrims left behind writing implements, coins and stones.


I couldn't resist wandering around the rest of the cemetery.  Near the entrance were several memorials commemorating the Jewish losses in World War I




. . . and the Shoah.



As they had been in Berlin's Jewish cemetery, many of the individual graves were overgrown.




Despite the natural decay, the mosaic, stone carving and grill work were still incredible.












No comments:

Post a Comment