Monday, April 13, 2015

Calling Franz



If I hadn't sought out the so-so Kafka Museum, I wouldn't have seen a crowd of teenagers behave as you might expect when confronted with David Cerny's "Piss."



The two gyrating statues are urinating on a map of the Czech Republic.



You've got to wonder what this little guy is thinking.


Although many of the exhibits in the museum were imaginative, none was as compelling as "Piss."  There were a few drawings and plenty of Kafka's papers but most were facsimiles.




 
One of the writer's famous bureaucrats answered this phone but he spoke only Czech so I had no idea what he had to say.


This over-the-top installation attempted to capture Kafka's uneasy angst.


I still had some time before meeting Chris for dinner, so I walked down to the Vltava river.









My guide indicated that a contemporary art museum on Kampa Island offered free admission on Tuesday evenings.  A brusque employee turned me away but not before I got to see a Cerny baby and several other outdoor sculptures.




The controversial Memorial to the Victims of Communism was near the station where I caught the tram back to Chris's place.  Kitsch or art?  Are those guys undead--and they're only guys--or suffering from political oppression?  You decide.


Before we dined at a neighborhood Vietnamese restaurant, Chris gave me a tour of Havlickovy sady which includes a delightful grotto.  Too bad the fountains weren't turned on.







No comments:

Post a Comment