Thursday, April 9, 2015

No Photos of Nefertiti Allowed

I chose to spend my final hours in Berlin at the Neues Museum because I wanted to see the famous bust of Nefertiti.  My bike ride took me past an unusual bear.


I parked near the gorgeous Alte Nationalgalerie on Museum Island where there are so many museums that finding the one you want can be confusing.


The beautifully restored, spacious Neues Museum reopened in 2009.





I was pissed when I found out photos of Nefertiti are prohibited.  Take my word for it, she looks just as colorful as the pictures you've seen.  Note her resemblance to Barbra Streisand in these other works.



It's a wonder that there are any antiquities at all left in Egypt given the vast number on display here, at the British Museum and at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.




There are extraordinary collections of prehistoric and classical items, too.




Believe it or not, this is a hat.


Here's the earliest known image of Charlemagne.  It's on a coin that must be viewed through a magnifier.


The museum certainly knows how to exhibit sculpture.





Florian provided me with excellent instructions to the train station for my 2 p.m. connection to Prague to visit Chris.  Why can't Penn Station look like this?




Fortunately, Florian pre-recorded a goodbye wave from the balcony of his apartment.


I was sorry to go but enjoyed the scenic ride to Prague.  The train followed the Elbe for some distance with Bastei visible shortly before we crossed the border with the Czech Republic.







No comments:

Post a Comment