Monday, January 17, 2022

FLASHBACK: A Friend of Dorothy's (1977)

I was reading Jane Eyre in Central Park on Columbus Day 1977 when I met Barnet, a Jewish neurotic who made me laugh more than anyone.  He'd never been on a motorcycle before I took him to Croton-on-Hudson to see the fall colors.

Like so many young gay men, he dreamed of show biz.  I offered to take some head shots.

He once starred as the Emcee in a City College production of Cabaret.  For some unfathomable reason, I thought it would be cool to create this tableau against the exposed brick wall where my orange Atala usually hung.  Those black, extremely uncomfortable patent leather loafers had red piping.

When I started working at the New York Public Library in 1978, I used to meet Barnet and his friend Rob for lunch at Rockefeller Center.  Polo shirts were ALL the rage then.

Barnet took me to an opening of his friend's art show in Soho.  Bill (not pictured) painted celebrity caricatures.  Charlie (left) worked at NBC and eventually became a Pines housemate.  I couldn't wait to sleep with Bennet, an attorney, (right) even though he had a lover.  Suddenly, I knew a lot of friends of Dorothy.


No comments:

Post a Comment