Tuesday, January 11, 2022

FLASHBACK: Maine Wilderness Adventure (1974)


The summer of my junior year, I was supposed to tour Europe with a couple of high school friends but our charter flight got cancelled at the last minute.  Instead I went camping with Paul, his friend Russ, and Scott, another classmate of ours who considered himself a real outdoorsman.

Russ, Paul & Scott
We drove to Maine and hired a seaplane service to drop us off for a couple of days at a remote lake.  We had to bring in our own food and supplement it with fishing and foraging.



Believe it or not, I still have this tent.  It came in handy when I my father and I drove from El Paso to the Arctic Circle in 1980.





We walked on Knife's Edge after climbing Mount Katahdin, Maine's highest peak.

This isn't the selfie I would have taken, that's for damn sure.


Look closely below and you'll see the bear cub that caused the trip's most memorable moment.  It terrified Russ, most kindly described as a "city slicker."  Although Scott told us we had nothing to fear if we silently backed away from the mother if she showed up, Russ ran screaming down the rocks, beating his aluminum canteen as loudly as possible.


We ended our trip in Montreal with a peek at the remains of Expo 67.




No comments:

Post a Comment