Monday, January 17, 2022

FLASHBACK: When He Walked Into My Life (1978)

Meeting Dave on April Fool's Day in Central Park changed everything. It pretty much was love at first sight on my end.  Within two weeks, he had moved in with me.  The Germans call it "schnell verlieben." I learned that the third and last time it happened in my life.



Dave brought his dog Smokey from Ohio where his family lived.  He made her a Mylar collar. She's sitting on the rock in the Ramble where we met.  


Dave's younger sister Nikki, a not-quite-out lesbian, visited.  Both were very Midwestern and proud of Newton Falls, home of the 44444 area code.


Yes, I picked out the wallpaper.  It was the 70s!  


Dave had never met a Jew before Barnet.  They had a touch-and-go vibe at first.


Dave had hopped on a New York City-bound bus to become a set designer, and never took a job unrelated to his ambition.  Barnet insisted our relationship was straight out of Pygmalion, with me in the role of Professor Higgins.  There may have been some truth to that.



Shots of me were never quite as hot.  


The building where we lived was sold and our new landlady evicted us.  Since then, I've never trusted anyone who dots their little "i's"with tiny circles.


No comments:

Post a Comment