Friday, October 28, 2022

How Much Would You Pay for a Shoehorn?

But not just ANY shoe horn.  One from James Smith & Sons Umbrellas on Oxford Street in London.  We passed the shop on our way to the British Museum.  "We have to go back there!" I said to Thom.
 

It's a listed building, the shopping equivalent of the Wolseley.  Authentically and unequivocally British for nearly two centuries.


A  patient salesman demonstrated a seat stick. Interesting, but a mite too old even for this senior citizen. He also explained legal uses for a shillelagh.  "A publican might use it to keep a rowdy customer in line."  Thom wandered to the umbrella section where he tortured a young salesman with more than a passing resemblance to Oscar Wilde.


While I photographed the marvelous selection of walking sticks, I overheard a customer ask the price of a very long shoe horn.  



I'm not much of a shopper but the question struck a chord.  Hmmm, it's something I'll use every day, a wonderful reminder of our trip to London.  "150 pounds," replied the salesman. Gulp.  "How about the short one?" I asked.  "Half as much," he replied after consulting a binder. "Sold," I replied.  

Thom returned the next day and spent almost twice as much for a steel-spine umbrella that should be hanging in the Victoria & Albert's Design Museum in Dundee!

No comments:

Post a Comment