Friday, October 28, 2022

Liberty

When I sold ties at Bloomingdales in the mid-70s, you couldn't go wrong with a Liberty of London paisley print.


Fifty years later, I learned that Liberty has been operating an entire department store in a Tudor building a stone's throw away from Carnaby Street since the mid-nineteenth century. Fabio told us a famous American merchandiser had recently done a first-rate face lift. "Simon Doonan?" I guessed.  He wasn't sure but if it was, I couldn't find any online evidence.



So how weird is it that we ran into Simon Doonan and his husband Jonathan Adler while exploring the wonderful emporium?  No doubt they were looking for things to knock off in the FABULOUS housewares department!


The white frieze at the top of the atrium isn't quite the Parthenon, but it'll do for shopping till you drop.  Who can resist a roo and her joey?


Even the dressing rooms were sumptuous.  I would have bought a "strawberry thief" pattern shirt (after William Morris) if they'd had my size. Note Thom's Belstaff bag.  He brought it everywhere (along with the new outfit)!


I regret not buying a celebrity needlepoint kit. Oscar Wilde, Virginia Woolf, William Shakespeare and you know who, English majors, were on offer!


No comments:

Post a Comment